A detailed account of my adventures, struggles, accomplishments, experiences, and aha moments while exploring the nature and design of compelling experiences.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cultivated Abilities

To quote Eisner, “What we are able to see or hear is a product of cultivated abilities.  The rewards and insights provided by aesthetically shaped forms are available only to those who can perceive them.  [the quality of form will differ from individual to individual]”.  This quote made me think dealing with multicultural families and how the individuals perceive the same information differently because of the different exposures that we have had.  I often work with families so that they can work on their student’s therapy activities at home.  The culture I create when dealing with families of students needs to be open and inviting.  After studying the NDCE, I have felt that I need to take on a stronger role of being the expert and being more persuasive and manipulative with my presentations, in order to be more artful and have a greater connection.  So for a moment these two things seemed conflicting.  That is, being open and inviting and being a persuasive expert.  So how do I find what is the best method when dealing with families of different cultures that may not have the same values as me?  To paraphrase my WOA interviewee, [the themes that drive us are ancient, lasting and life giving.  Bring in a new way of expressing it to create a wow factor].  Most of the information that I present to the family should be familiar, sound and revered, and then mix in something new for that “wow” factor.   This makes sense, I can still be the persuasive expert in appropriate doses.  I do not need to overwhelm a family with tasks that they should be doing at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment