A detailed account of my adventures, struggles, accomplishments, experiences, and aha moments while exploring the nature and design of compelling experiences.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Comfort and learning


Sara Susanka speaks of meeting physiological needs in designing a house or outdoor space.  I really have never thought about the design of a school beyond a very utilitarian purpose, to comfortably house students.  The square shape and flat walls and ceiling with fluorescent light do nothing to add to the experience of the student.  I described feeling anxious, cold and unwelcome in such an environment with retail.  Is this how students feel – anxious to move on? -probably.  When lecturing, I have always wanted those listening to me to be alert, on edge not too comfortable.  If someone in my audience has their feet up on a chair relaxing too much while I am speaking, I must admit I am irritated.  I am trying to be the center of attention. Looking back, my perspective was a bit off.  Dressing professionally and proper preparation only took me so far.  I should have been thinking, “how do I add to the student’s experience and put everyone in a comfortable, enjoyable and compelling environment?”. Where is the happy medium?  When I think of great ah ha moments, they usually weren’t sitting in a lecture hall or in a big square classroom.  They occurred with small group settings where I felt at ease talking with peers.  Offering options of small group activities reminds me of Susanka’s alcove or shelters, which would meet people’s need to feel safe.  Also, after this module I am reconsidering the lighting and the impact it has on someone’s attention.  Using any one light source for too long allows the students to shut down.  Moving back and forth from overhead lighting to looking at a screen is something that I am definitely going to incorporate in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment