A detailed account of my adventures, struggles, accomplishments, experiences, and aha moments while exploring the nature and design of compelling experiences.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

compelling moments in film

In this week’s assignment I really enjoyed Oldham’s interview with Hirsh.  I found it interesting that Hirsh studied so many different arts that helped him develop “editing equations”.  He states that “engaging your intellect takes away from feeling what’s happening”.  I know he is talking about a movie, but what does this mean to the classroom where we focus on engaging the intellect.  I’m always trying to keep people engaged and I always fall back on what works best for me – get up and move around and approach the new info with a clear head.
I also try to reinforce information after it was presented verbally by sharing visual aids and, when able, follow up with a hands-on lesson. Looking at the scene from the Godfather, I was amazed how easily I was manipulated (I mean that in a positive way) as a viewer with the use of music and color.  Grabbing at the senses first and then working on the intellect will be a new technique to engage my students.  Reviewing and reflecting on how a lesson went is one area that I always have to force myself to do.  One underlying theme in the great editors was that they are never satisfied and always looking for new challenges.

An Active Training book that I have used quotes Confucius
What I hear, I forget
What I see, I remember
What I teach, I understand
I will add to that:                     When I feel, I am engaged

1 comment:

  1. I can tell that you are getting closer and closer to the NDCE when you offer us your new strategy of working with the senses first (things outside of the logical brain) and then considering intellect, when presenting lessons. Sounds like Dewey and Jackson. Thanks Joanne. Best, Stacy

    ReplyDelete