A detailed account of my adventures, struggles, accomplishments, experiences, and aha moments while exploring the nature and design of compelling experiences.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Persuation

The Goodman article spoke of how teachers rely too much on text and talk and by bringing multimedia into the classroom it makes the experience richer.  I love the way that he compares research and film making where film making evokes emotion and research explains or predicts knowledge. When I do my training conferences my goal has always been to pass along information in an interesting way and make sure that the attendees could spit that information back to me – I was satisfied and I had done my job.  Now, I see that the training is meant to be persuasive.  To have the audience leave with a new way of seeing that their work makes a difference in student’s lives.  They may walk away with all of the information that they need, but if I fail to evoke emotions or change their way of seeing, I have not done my job.  One emotion that is often evoked at these conferences is one of dread.  People saying that my ideas are all well and good but it sounds like a lot more work to add to their already busy schedule. I have come to appreciate the effort that goes into making a compelling moment by the efforts I put forth creating and editing a short film.  A lot of work goes into analyzing every second of a presentation.  If the purpose is persuasion, why bother if the ideas are not carefully created and edited?  In future trainings I need to prepare my presentation so that I involve “my viewers” on an emotional level and hold their attention throughout.  Only when they can answer the question “so what” in regards to how they will use the information, will I have done my job.  It is a great question to keep my audience involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment